Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Thing 9 - Online Communicatin'

I tried both Zoho and Google Docs and actually liked the look and feel of Zoho better (although I am so wedded to the MS products, I kept looking for things that must have been there, but I couldn't find). However, nothing beats not having to log into another site! Loved that I could login ONE TIME to Google and see my blog plus fiddle around with the Google Docs site.

Now. Onto evaluation and usability. I guess I can see where this would be useful, but in my current job, we all have access to the same word processing software. When we want to share and edit things, we simply send an attachment and voila, we can change wording or whatever else we need or want to change.

However, there have been times in the past that I've wanted to flip from working on a document at home and at work. Currently, I have the dreaded Microsoft Office 2007 (yes, it really takes some getting used to ) so to switch back and forth I have to remember to use the "save as" option. Additionally, we've had patrons come in needing certain editions of word processing software and (for obvious reasons) we can't accomodate everyone. Using one of these online software products (especially if you can upload or download your stuff) to create a personal document would negate that necessity and you'd be able to access your work from anywhere. That's where I see the usefulness of this product. But for me personally? No. Probably not.

No comments: