Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Thing 12 - Digggggggging

Wow. Is digg.com random or what? Even for eclectic types like myself, I was pretty amazed at the randomness of the first listing of topics. From electic scooters to Sarah Palin to cheating on taking sick days at work. This site is for folks with a lot of free time on their hands. I refused to get sucked in. Probably happens far to often to browsers. However, if you had the time ... hmmm ... could probably "digg" (har-har) around for some pretty interesting stuff here.

Ugh. Reddit is what I really dislike about the Internet. It's a popularity contest! Let's chat online about inane stuff! However, I was interested to find the overlapping topics between Reddit and Digg. Perhaps the same folks peruse the same two sites? On to the next one ...

OK. Now we're talking. Newsvine is much more interesting (although their little log "Get smarter here" is annoying ...) I could waste some serious time here, and was immediately intrigued by the lead article (with aerial photo) of the Canadian ice shelf breaking off.

And finally ... Mixx. Well, at least here they categorize the topics instead of giving it all to you in a lump sum.

My main question with all the above sites is ... WHO HAS THE TIME!?!? My eyes would completely and utterly bugg out if I spent much longer than the few minutes I did at each site. Nevertheless, it's good to know that these types of sites exist for, um, maybe patron use? Not really sure how it could be helpful to patrons, since (other than Newsvine) so much of it is basically Internet banter between strangers.

No comments: