Friday, February 29, 2008

Thing 4

First off, let me say that I thought that the Common Craft video posted on the "23 Things" homepage was excellent. All I could think while I was watching it was, "what a great format for explaining very simple computer functions to folks who are less-than-savvy on all things technie!" Nice job, Lee LeFever. Very nice.

As for Flickr, I have always meant to create an account as my relatives are spread out all over the country (Oregon to Texas to Georgia to Virginia to Vermont to Illinois) and Flickr would be one way to post photos of my boys without remembering a gajillion email addresses and waiting ... waiting ... waiting ... waiting at home for my s-l-o-w dial-up connection to send photos (albeit ones that have been reduced to 25% ... folks that don't reduce their photos when they send them in an email are EVIL on my list, but that's another topic for discussion). So Flickr was an easy task for me (and fun too!) I also found a way to post some long-overdue sharing of photos I took of the remodeled children's room in my hometown, the Evanston Public Library. Take a look -- tell me what you think. Some really very nice ideas (and I've more photos but posted the best ones here). I decided not to upload a photo onto my blog ... because, well, I sort of already do that. I'm a 100% image gal and can spend waaaaaaaaay too much time tinkering around with images, formatting, etc.etc. (I think I'd love to have been a graphic artist or designer in my other life). I could see that Flickr and other photo-sharing sites might have a very powerful impact on library use and patron use. Just took a look at the new Encyclopedia of Life http://www.eol.org and see that photo sharing in this capacity could be a valuable tool, especially as our print reference collections start to disappear.

Final verdict? I heart Flickr! Now I just have to restrain myself from going overboard with posting photos of my kids ...

1 comment:

~jd said...

Love the site so far Monica! Looking foward to seeing more of the boys...and the critters of your house as well...the Evanston Library did a nice job remodeling as well~ good ol' Chicago suburbs :)
~jd