Thursday, March 13, 2008

Random Patron Musings ...

My new and "improved" text size is from a request made by Jennifer (hope ya like it!).
Here is my patron musing of the day ... yesterday, I had a patron in who needed to fill out an online application with the St. Paul Public Schools for a temporary, summer-only position. She is a retired teacher from SPPS and (ta-da!) had zero computer skills. Didn't even know how to use a mouse (wow, it's been a long time since I've seen someone pick up the mouse to try and make the cursor move around on the screen ...) The upshot of this entire thing was that (of course) she could only apply online. And guess what? She needed an email address in order to complete the application! I was not about to recommend she get a web-based, online email account just to fill out the application (which she could not do at all without staff help, and very concerted help at that). Fortunately, she did have a phone number to call if she needed help. But why does the public at-large just assume that everyone knows there way, be it basic or advanced, around a computer? I thought it very unfair that the SPPS did not offer a non-electronic way to apply for a part-time position and put her through an application process that, frankly, embarrassed her. She apologized about 10 times for not knowing how to use a computer, asking for my help, etc. I felt really bad that this obviously well-educated woman could not do something as simple as apply for a job. Computers ain't everything, and it would be nice for potential employers to recognize this. I suspect that her summer teaching position would not require her to have computer skills (or would it ...?) As I continue on the "23 Things" initiative, this keeps coming back to me -- the juxtaposition between those that get it ... and those that don't.

2 comments:

~jd said...

YAY to the bigger text! Danke, Mon!
great random musings....JL just commented this week about how it's still kind of amazing that so many people don't know how to use a mouse. And he continues to teach them....as do those of us in those one on one scenarios where we're here to help our patrons :)

Ann W. said...

The thing that drives me batty is the fact that typically blue-collar jobs (aka NO COMPUTER SKILL REQUIRED) also require people to fill out job apps online, including the requirement of an email address. I've had to walk someone through the exact same process at least 4 times this year, it's so frustrating. At least we're here to help!