Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thing 15 : Games 'n whatnot

Online games and libraries ... well, I do feel like I need to know a bit about this because a lot of patrons use the library to play games online. Plus, I have two children who are becoming increasingly interested in playing games on the computer.

For my "choice" I decided to take a peek at the Second Life site. Although interesting, as I feel like I've written innumerable times, it seems like such a waste of time. I did not participate in this "game" (needless to say, it would have cost me money) but well, I guess if you're really, really into creating virtual worlds it could be fun. And I do appreciate that they included libraries in the "world" interface.

So. A role in libraries? Perhaps. Do librarians as a whole need to know something about online gaming? You betcha. One thing is for sure - that's not going away anytime soon.

As a funny anectode, I have a World of Warcraft story : my sister has two teenage sons. One of these sons was once very into World of Warcraft. One evening, when she came home from work, she asked her younger son (then aged 15) to do the proverbial taking out of the garbage. His response? "But Mo-om! I've got a raid in, like, 5 minutes!"

I rest my case.

No comments: